Can I be required to pay for a child's daycare and special child rearing expenses?

Yes, the court may order parents to pay their proportional shares of daycare and other special child rearing expenses. These expenses may include but are not limited to:

  • sports
  • tuition
  • long-distance transportation expenses
  • tutoring, and
  • summer camp.

The court will consider each parent’s ability to pay for these expenses. The inclusion of these expenses depends upon the language in your underlying order, whether these costs are agreed upon by the parties, and the specific situation in each family.

If you would like to ask the court to address these expenses, you must make this request in writing and provide documentation of the expenses before the trial. Only under a petition to modify can these be changed. If your case is a motion to adjust, these cannot be changed.

Show All Answers

1. I think my child Support amount should be raised (or lowered). What should I do?
2. If my Child Support Order meets the criteria for review, what happens next?
3. I was served with a Petition to Modify Child Support, what should I do?
4. I received a Motion to Adjust Child Support Order, what should I do?
5. How does the Prosecuting Attorney’s Office calculate the child support payment?
6. What should I do if I need a deviation from the Prosecuting Attorney’s Office proposed child support transfer payment?
7. I now have a court date, what should I do?
8. Is there childcare available at Court?
9. I am unemployed and no longer able to pay my child support. What should I do?
10. I went back to school full-time and now don't have any income. Will you lower my support?
11. What if I need my parenting plan established or modified?
12. I have a new baby with a new partner, does that matter?
13. Can I be required to pay for a child's daycare and special child rearing expenses?
14. My kids are now teenagers and they are involved in a lot of activities. Can you help?
15. What do we do about college?
16. Can someone in your office help me fill out my paperwork?
17. What happens when there is a history of domestic violence in my case.
18. What if the paying parent isn't paying?
19. How do I obtain copies of my court orders?