I now have a court date, what should I do?

Many people ask if they have to come to court. The answer is that you are not under subpoena to appear in court and the Court will not issue a warrant if you do not attend. However, it is in your best interest to participate fully in this process and to come to court on the day of your hearing. Please plan on arriving 15 minutes before court is scheduled to begin. Please plan on setting aside half the day for the hearing.

The Jefferson County Superior Court hears paternity cases on Fridays at 2:00pm. The Prosecuting Attorney’s Office will schedule the hearing and send notice to all parties through USPS mail. If you cannot attend the hearing, please contact the Jefferson County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office and they will attempt to reschedule the hearing. Please contact them as soon as you learn you cannot attend the hearing. You can also request a continuance by filing paperwork with the Superior Court.

If you are planning to come to court, please let us know if you need any accommodations in terms of language interpreters or disability. 

You will have a chance to talk to the Judge or Commissioner during the hearing.  Often, the parties are limited to five minutes.  While some people choose to hire an attorney to represent them, many do not.  You may find it helpful to make a list of the things you want to tell the Court before coming to the courtroom.

Show All Answers

1. I know who the biological father of my child is. How do I get child support?
2. What is a "presumed father?"
3. What is a paternity affidavit?
4. Where do I get a blank Washington State paternity affidavit?
5. The father of my child is deceased. Can I still get paternity established?
6. How do I find out if I am the father of a child?
7. Will the Prosecuting Attorney's Office do a paternity test for me?
8. My name is on the child's birth certificate. How can I get a paternity test to make sure I am the father?
9. I was served with a Petition to Decide Paternity, what should I do?
10. What happens after a response to the Petition to Decide Paternity?
11. The genetic testing has confirmed that I am the father; however, I want to request a deviation from the proposed child support payment. What should I do?
12. Can I obtain a parenting plan as a part of the paternity action?
13. Will I get back child support as a part of the paternity action?
14. How long does a paternity case take?
15. Does the Family Support Division or the Prosecuting Attorney’s Office represent me?
16. What if the father admits he is the father?
17. What do I have to do for genetic testing?
18. Do I have to pay for genetic testing?
19. How long does it take to get genetic testing results?
20. How do I get the Amended Birth Certificate with the father's name on it?
21. I now have a court date, what should I do?
22. Who do I talk to when the parenting plan has been violated?
23. The parenting plan has not been violated, but I am concerned that the other parent may disappear with my child. What can I do to prevent that?