I know who the biological father of my child is. How do I get child support?

A person cannot be obligated to pay child support until they are legally declared to be a parent and they are listed on the child’s birth certificate. A father’s name is put on the birth certificate if:

  1. He and the mother are married at the time the child is born (he is called the presumed father);
  2. He and the mother sign a paternity affidavit; or,
  3. A court order establishes him as the father.

If a father is already listed on the child’s birth certificate, the Division of Child Support (DCS) can set support administratively. If no father is named on the child’s birth certificate, then DCS may refer the case to the Family Support Division to establish paternity and set support through the Jefferson County Superior Court

Show All Answers

1. I know who the biological father of my child is. How do I get child support?
2. What is a "presumed father?"
3. What is a paternity affidavit?
4. Where do I get a blank Washington State paternity affidavit?
5. The father of my child is deceased. Can I still get paternity established?
6. How do I find out if I am the father of a child?
7. Will the Prosecuting Attorney's Office do a paternity test for me?
8. My name is on the child's birth certificate. How can I get a paternity test to make sure I am the father?
9. I was served with a Petition to Decide Paternity, what should I do?
10. What happens after a response to the Petition to Decide Paternity?
11. The genetic testing has confirmed that I am the father; however, I want to request a deviation from the proposed child support payment. What should I do?
12. Can I obtain a parenting plan as a part of the paternity action?
13. Will I get back child support as a part of the paternity action?
14. How long does a paternity case take?
15. Does the Family Support Division or the Prosecuting Attorney’s Office represent me?
16. What if the father admits he is the father?
17. What do I have to do for genetic testing?
18. Do I have to pay for genetic testing?
19. How long does it take to get genetic testing results?
20. How do I get the Amended Birth Certificate with the father's name on it?
21. I now have a court date, what should I do?
22. Who do I talk to when the parenting plan has been violated?
23. The parenting plan has not been violated, but I am concerned that the other parent may disappear with my child. What can I do to prevent that?