How do I vacate a criminal conviction?

Not all convictions can be vacated.  To see if you qualify, review the Revised Code of Washington, or contact a lawyer.

If after reviewing the Revised Code of Washington and/or consulting an attorney, you believe you are eligible, you can submit your request to our office, by mailing the required documentation listed below.

Required Documentation:

  1. A copy of your Motion. (This form can be obtained from the Washington State Courts. Be sure you get the correct type. Misdemeanor and Felony cases use different forms.)
  2. A copy of your Proposed Order. (This form can be obtained from the Washington State Courts. Be sure you are get the correct type. Misdemeanor and Felony cases use different forms.)
  3. A recent Criminal History Check. (Contact the Washington State Patrol at 360-534-2000 for information about their services and fees.)
  4. Copies of the following documents from the criminal case you are trying to vacate:
    • The document called Information.
    • The Judgment and Sentence.
    • The Satisfaction of Judgment and Sentence.  (Be aware this only shows proof of completed financial obligations.)
    • Certificate of Discharge or Order of Dismissal or Termination Order (if one has been filed).
    • Any Orders of Modification of the Judgment and Sentence.

The Prosecutor's Office and the Court must have proof that you completed all the conditions in your judgment and sentence. This includes payment of all financial obligations.

To purchase copies of the court documents, you may contact the County Clerk's Office. You may also employ a service such as the Attorney's Information Bureau.

If you submit all the above documents to our office and are eligible for the order you are requesting, the Prosecuting Attorney will present the order to the appropriate court for approval.  If the motion is granted, the Prosecuting Attorney will file the originals with the Court and mail you a copy. If the Court denies your request, you will also be notified by mail of that decision.

If you are inquiring about "sealing your case" or "expunging," please contact an attorney. The Prosecuting Attorney’s Office will return any motions that contain requests to seal or expunge. This language must be removed before your documents can be reviewed.


Keep a copy of all documents that you submit to our office.

Provide your current mailing address, telephone number and email address (if you have one) with your packet.

Please Note:

Washington State Law and the Rules of Professional Conduct prohibit the Jefferson County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office from providing legal advice to members of the public.  If you have a matter that requires legal assistance, you may wish to contact Jefferson Associated Counsel, the public defender for Jefferson County, Northwest Justice Project, Columbia Legal Services, Washington Legal Help, a county bar association or a lawyer listed at the Legal Information Institute.

Show All Answers

1. Does the Prosecutor's Office provide copies of police reports?
2. How do I file criminal charges?
3. How do I find Law Enforcement Agencies?
4. How do I check to see if I have a warrant?
5. How do I drop charges?
6. How do I check the status of a case?
7. How can someone find out who the defense attorney is on a particular criminal case?
8. How do I apply for child support?
9. How do I collect restitution?
10. How do I find a Jefferson County Jail Inmate Roster?
11. How do I find a lawyer?
12. How do I find Courts?
13. How do I identify registered sex offenders in my neighborhood?
14. How do I obtain a No Contact Order?
15. How do I vacate a criminal conviction?