How do I obtain a No Contact Order?

There are several types of restraining orders available to residents of Washington State. The circumstances will dictate which order is most appropriate.

  • Order of Protection: This order is obtained by a victim of domestic violence.  The victim may petition the court asJefferson for protection. If the victim has children with the offender, then the order may be in place for up to 1 year. If no children are in common, then the order can be for lifetime. The victim has the option to have this order lifted at any time. If the offender violates this order, the sanction can be a criminal offense. There is no charge for Protection Orders and they may be obtained at the district court, or the superior court.
  • No Contact Orders: These orders arise out of a criminal conviction and provide protection to the victims of certain crimes.  A judge places these orders in effect and only the judge can lift these orders.  The victim does not necessarily have to agree with the order being put into place.  Victims can file a motion in front of the sentencing judge to have the order lifted if they believe they are not in danger, however, the final decision is made by the judge.
  • Anti-Harassment Order: This order is for victims of crime who do not fall under the statute for domestic violence. Similar to the protection order, the victim may petition the court to ask for protection.  The order may be in effect for up to 1 year. Violation of this order can be a criminal sanction.  There is a charge for this order and it varies depending if you obtain the order from a district court, municipal court, or superior court. The victim should contact the court clerk to find out the cost.

Show All Answers

1. Does the Prosecutor's Office provide copies of police reports?
2. How do I file criminal charges?
3. How do I find Law Enforcement Agencies?
4. How do I check to see if I have a warrant?
5. How do I drop charges?
6. How do I check the status of a case?
7. How can someone find out who the defense attorney is on a particular criminal case?
8. How do I apply for child support?
9. How do I collect restitution?
10. How do I find a Jefferson County Jail Inmate Roster?
11. How do I find a lawyer?
12. How do I find Courts?
13. How do I identify registered sex offenders in my neighborhood?
14. How do I obtain a No Contact Order?
15. How do I vacate a criminal conviction?