I'm wondering how I would go about finding information about the zoning and development potential of a property in Jefferson County.

DCD offers a suite of options to answer questions and help plan development. Fees start at $50 for a 30 minute appointment. Customer Service fees up to $94 may be credited to a project application if the customer applies within one year from the date of the meeting or customer service provided.

  1. Staff-Consultation Meeting by Appointment
    Tuesday-Thursday 1:00 pm-4:30 pm
    Book an appointment with staff to discuss questions and projects. We prefer that you schedule an appointment using our online scheduling calendar. Appointment times for this service are booked in 30 minute increments during our customer assistance hours of 1:00 pm-4:30 pm, Tuesday-Thursday. Customers must request appointments at least 48 hours in advance. Examples include how critical area and shoreline regulations affect projects.
  2. Staff Consultation Walk-in Hours - This service is discontinued at this time. Online appts can be made using #1 above.
    Monday through Thursday 10:30 am-noon
    Alternatively, the department hosts walk-in hours 10:30 am-12:00 pm Monday-Thursday for consultations. Be advised that walk-in meeting times may be limited to 15-minutes with remaining time expended with follow-up email or phone call. 
  3. Planning/Permit Path Study
    Many customers under contract for property purchase ask DCD questions to determine feasibility for projects before settlement. This service provides customers with a written product summarizing permit path and feasibility. DCD provides a product within 14 calendar days. A $200 fee is required for two hours DCD review and product preparation.* Please note that certain projects may require a pre-application conference
  4. Self-Help
    For basic questions such as "What is my zoning?" or "What forms do I need to apply for a building permit?" we also have extensive self-help available online at: https://www.co.jefferson.wa.us/1379/Self-Help-Stationhttps://www.co.jefferson.wa.us/866/Self-Service
  5. Septic and Water
    Monday-Friday 9:00 am-10:30 am
    DCD suggests customers who need water or septic feasibility information provide a conceptual site plan to obtain Jefferson County Environmental and Public Health comments (an additional hourly fee applies for this service). Customers seeking water or on-site septic system information should meet with Jefferson County Environmental Public Health prior to DCD (hours are Monday-Friday 9:00am-10:30am, located next door to DCD).

Show All Answers

1. Do I need a permit for a small picnic pavilion on my property?
2. How do I permit an addition to an existing house?
3. Who do I talk to about preliminary questions about building a structure or developing my property in Jefferson County?
4. I want to build a stand-alone building to house my tools and it's over 400sqft, do I need a permit?
5. I'm wondering how I would go about finding information about the zoning and development potential of a property in Jefferson County.
6. Does Jefferson County requires a pre-pour inspection?
7. What do I need to do for a re-roof permit?
8. Where can I find a copy of the county code?
9. I am planning to install a fireplace insert. What forms do I need?
10. Do I need a permit to remodel a bathroom?
11. Is it the property owner or the contractor's responsibility to submit permits?
12. Does my ductless heat pump need to be installed above the flood plain?
13. What is the minimum height for a deck before it requires a rail?
14. Who do I call about installing road name signs?
15. How do I name a road?
16. What do I need to do to be able to do to demolish a building?
17. What do I need to submit if I only want to build a garage?
18. What are my permit fees? How do I get a fee estimate?
19. What are the rules regarding fences and gates?
20. What does it mean that me new address review has "triggered road naming?"