How do I file against a corporation?
Because many corporations do business under an assumed trade name, you must have the correct name and address of the Corporation you wish to sue: i.e., XYZ Co., Inc. (or incorporated, or Ltd.). In order to obtain service, you must have the name of the Office Manager, Corporate President, Secretary, Cashier, Managing Agent or Registered Agent. If you do not have this information, you may contact the Secretary of the State, Division of Corporate Records, in Olympia at 360-753-7115, Monday to Friday between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m.

You may file your small claim action in the Jefferson County District Court if the corporation does business in Jefferson County, the corporate office is located in Jefferson County, or the Registered Agent is located in Jefferson County. (RCW 4.66.040(6)). When completing the Notice of Small Claim form you should list the corporation name and the office address or the name and address of the Registered Agent.

Service on a corporation is obtained by serving the Registered Agent, Corporate President, Secretary, Treasurer, Managing Agent, or the Secretary or Office Assistant of the President, Secretary, Treasurer, or Managing Agent. (RCW 23A.08.110; 23A.32.200; 4.28.080(9)).

Show All Answers

1. Who can sue and be sued?
2. How much does it cost to file a claim?
3. How do I file against a corporation?
4. How do I file against a sole proprietorship, partnership or a DBA?
5. Can I counterclaim a charge?
6. How is the Notice of Small Claim form served?
7. When will the case be heard?
8. What is a typical case?
9. What if we settle?
10. What is first appearance mediation?
11. What happens at the trial?
12. How do I collect my money?
13. Can I appeal a decision?
14. Can you appeal a case if you lose?