Recording Document Requirements
- First page of each document must have:
- A 3-inch margin at the top of the page and a 1 inch margin on the sides and bottom.
- The return address must be in the upper left-hand corner of the page within the 3 inches top margin.
- The title or titles of the document to be recorded.
- Reference number of documents assigned or released (if applicable).
- The names of the grantors and grantees with reference to the page number where additional names can be found.
- An abbreviated legal description of the property, (section/township/range or Lot/block/plat).
- The Assessor's tax parcel number.
- All subsequent pages must have a 1 inch margin on all sides.
- All pages of the document must be on paper of weight and color capable of producing a legible image and must not be larger than 8.5 inches by 14 inches.
- The font size must be 8 point type or larger.
- All documents must be prepared in ink color capable of being imaged. All seals must be legible and capable of being imaged (pressure seals must be smudged).
- Maps must be simple without crosshatching, grayscale, shading or overlapping.
- No photographs.
- No attachments may be taped, stapled, or glued to the pages of the document.
- Documents that must be recorded immediately and do not meet margin and font size requirements may be recorded for an additional fee per RCW 65.04.48. An emergency recording cover sheet, including the signature acknowledging that parts of the text might be obscured by the recording process. The non-standard fee is an additional $50 and the cover sheet adds an additional page fee of $1, totaling $51. These fees are in addition to the regular recording fees. Non-standard documents are not exempt from the requirement that they be fully legible. Access a blank non-standard emergency cover sheet (PDF).
- If required indexing information does not appear on the first page of the document, a cover sheet (PDF) may be completed listing all the necessary information. Fee to record will increase by $1 if a cover sheet is needed.
Failure to meet these requirements of this stature will result in document(s) being returned without being recorded.
REFERENCE: Revised Code of Washington (RCW) 65.04.45 and 65.04.47