Critical Areas Ordinance Regulatory Reform Task Force
On March 25, 2019, the Jefferson County Board of Commissioners and the Jefferson County Board of Health adopted a resolution 17-19, a Joint Resolution establishing a Regulatory Reform Program for the County, including directing the Department of Community Development to use the updates to the critical areas ordinance (CAO) as an opportunity to holistically analyze and reform regulations, protect the environment, and create efficient development practices and permitting paths.
On July 8, 2019, the Jefferson County Board of Commissioners adopted a resolution, 35-19, establishing and appointing members to a Jefferson County Critical Areas Regulatory Reform Task Force to advise the County with recommendations as the County finalizes drafting updates to the CAO. The Task Force is authorized to discuss and collectively recommend refinements to the policy, regulations, and environmental standards in the existing draft of the CAO update, for potential inclusion in a revised draft CAO update.
The Critical Areas Regulatory Reform Task Force is directed to complete its review and deliver its recommendations to the Department of Community Development, with copies to the Planning Commission and Board of County Commissioners, on or before December 31, 2019, and the Task Force shall dissolve immediately at the end of December 31, 2019, or after delivering its recommendations, whichever is first.
The Jefferson County Board of Commissioners appointed the following representatives to serve as the initial members of the Critical Areas Regulatory Reform Task Force:
- Jean Ball, District 3 citizen
- John Bellow, Spring Rain Farms
- Al Cairns, Jefferson County Conservation District
- Kevin Coker, Jefferson County Planning Commission
- Craig Durgan, Business Owner
- Robin Fitch, District 2 citizen
- Donna Frostholm, Jefferson County DCD
- Linda Herzog, Facilitator/Quilcene Community
- Steve Mader, Environmental Scientist/Consultant
- Teresa Michelsen, District 1 citizen
All documents related to the CAO RR Task Force can be found on LaserFiche, the County's document archive, HERE:
- CAO RR Task Force Charter
- JCC Chapter 18.22 Critical Areas Draft
- BERK Documents
- Meeting Agendas and Minutes
- Meeting Audio Files
- Whatcom County Agricultural Information